lichess.org
Donate

Winter 2021 Tournament - Round 2

So by popular demand here is the summary of Round 2. Thanks to Julian we had partners for everyone which was great. Four hard-fought games and a bit of chirping in the chat.

Jonathan and Denis find themselves at the top of the tournament board though there is still hope for the rest of us. Patrick after all was in the driver's seat for most of Thursday's game against Jonathan until he let his natural generosity get the better of him and made Jonathan a gift of a free queen - or maybe that was a deep positional sacrifice? Jonathan's super-power seems to be the ability to always make the second to last mistake in his games!

Denis and Jonathan will almost certainly be matched up for round 3 and this should be a good game to watch. Denis is always solid and showed this in how well he played the attack on John's king in their game. John's queen-side breakthrough was too little, too late.

Julian is a great addition to our tournament and played the opening quite well against Jacques but was unable to hold off Jacques's heavy piece breakthrough in the end. No one quite believes Julian is only nine and he is certainly a talent to watch going forward !

Peter and David played a relatively drama-free game that resembles many of those they have played over the past thirty years. Peter gave up a pawn fairly early on without being able to create weaknesses in White's pawn structure to compensate. David was finally able to grind out the win in the endgame.

Here is my best guess of what the pairings for round 3 will look like:

jpmunz (Jonathan) vs denisbouchard (Denis)
hodjon (John) vs vger (Patrick)
datasmith (David) vs jcss64 (Jacques)
flamingorange (Peter) vs sausjulian (Julian)

Looking forward to seeing you all on Thursday!
I am only too glad to cement my reputation for generosity. I somehow managed to be both intimidated by jonathan's reputation, and cavalier in my play. It's harder than it looks. I've been annoyed by it ever since.
As for Julian, i can confirm that he is indeed nine and a talent to look forward to
Peter and john's game had a relentlessness that required real discipline. Bravo to both players.
See you next Thursday.
P

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.