lichess.org
Donate

Add a time-limited tactics trainer

If you want to train for bullet you basically have to burn useful patterns into your brain through training. There is not much time to think. You have to spot forks etc. intuitively.

I think it would be very nice to have a fast paced tactics trainer with the following properties:

1. The user has N seconds (such as 10) to find the best move.
2. The engine is used to find the best move. Only positions with 1 clearly best move or multiple equivalent best moves are posed to the user.
3. The user can filter on the kinds of problems he wants to see: Opening, middle-game, endgame.

With the existing tactics trainer the best way to use it is to think the problem through until you are certain you are right. The solve rate should be 90%.

This new tactics trainer mode would be fast paced, like bullet, and surely quite fun. The solve rate would be 50% since the problems would be chosen to match the players rating.

If you want to try this right now, solve the chess captcha on this page :)
The user would also be able to set how clear the best move is supposed to be. For example, do I want to only find lost rooks and queens (5+) or do I have to find lost pawns (1+) or even positional advantages (0.5+)?

All of these categories are needed in real games and I need to be able to detect them.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.